SCEMD for Kids
What can you do to prepare for an emergency?
Have a family emergency plan. A family emergency plan will let the members of your family know what to do in the event of an emergency.
The plan should contain:
- Emergency contact numbers for the members of your family, the police department, fire department, emergency medical services, utility providers, and poison control.
- A map showing the escape routes from your house, and the assembly points so you can find each other after you get out of the house.
- A list of contact numbers for family members and friends outside of the immediate area that can be called in case local telephone systems are tied up.
- The location of your family disaster kit, and the checklist that keeps the contents of the kit up to date.
What should your family have in the family disaster kit?
A family disaster kit will be very important to you in the time right after a disaster. You should get together with your family, and make a checklist of the things that you may need until help arrives, and store the emergency kit in a container like a large plastic tub with a lid.
Your family emergency kit should contain:
- A first aid kit and first aid manual
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- A battery powered radio with extra batteries
- Canned or other non-perishable food
- A manual can opener
- A pocket knife
- Bottled water
- Copies of important family papers
- A list of emergency contact numbers
- Important prescription medicines
What are some of the possible types of disasters that may occur in South Carolina?
- Winter Storms
What does SCEMD do to help my community in disasters?
The South Carolina Emergency Management Division helps local governments when disaster response goes beyond their capability to provide assistance to communities.