South Carolina Receives Federal Disaster Declaration for COVID-19

Click for Latest Disaster Information

COLUMBIA, S.C. – In response to Governor Henry McMaster’s request, President Donald Trump declared that a major disaster exists in the state of South Carolina and approved federal reimbursement through FEMA for costs associated with emergency, life-safety actions in response to the novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

 The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance Program helps reimburse local governments and state agencies for some expenses incurred related to emergency protective measures. Typically, the federal share is 75 percent and the division of the remaining 25 percent will be determined later. More information about this program can be found here.


While many state and federal organizations are coordinating relief programs for COVID-19, disaster assistance through FEMA is not available for individual residents at this time.


The South Carolina Emergency Management Division website,, has a growing list of state and federal programs made available for anyone in South Carolina who may need assistance. SCEMD’s homepage will continue to be updated as more help becomes available for residents.